RE: SOAPAction Proposal

From: Eugene Kuznetsov <eugene@datapower.com>
Date: Wed, 9 May 2001 18:22:16 -0400
To: "Henrik Frystyk Nielsen" <henrikn@microsoft.com>, <Noah_Mendelsohn@lotus.com>, "Doug Davis" <dug@us.ibm.com>
Cc: <marting@develop.com>, <xml-dist-app@w3.org>
> >what do users of an HTTP binding need to get at w/o
> >cracking the XML.  If there is such info, then we should
> >have HTTP headers.
>
> Good question. There are at least a few cases where having some
> information in the HTTP header fields could be of help - if for nothing
> else then to shut off messages unless they are signed or otherwise
> verified:

There is definitely value in having some amount of information at
the HTTP layer, even if it merely duplicates some info already present
in the XML-encoded header or payload. This means that existing load
balancers, proxies and firewalls have a chance of being configured
to do something potentially useful.

I predict that in the long run, those network devices will have to
understand and deal with XML at a number of layers -- just as
switches had to learn to deal with HTTP in the first place --
but having the info duplicated allows for some limited amount of
intelligent behavior by the existing network infrastructure.

\\ Eugene Kuznetsov
\\ eugene@datapower.com
\\ DataPower Technology, Inc.