Re: SOAP/XML Protocol and filtering, etc.

From: Scott Lawrence <slawrence@virata.com>
Date: Tue, 08 May 2001 11:18:39 -0400
To: Dick Brooks <dick@8760.COM>
CC: moore@cs.utk.edu, Henrik Frystyk Nielsen <henrikn@microsoft.com>, Mark Nottingham <mnot@akamai.com>, ietf@ietf.org, xml-dist-app@w3.org
Dick Brooks wrote:

> How is what I've described all that different from inetd? Consider:
>
> |ftp|telnet|finger|    |ebXML|GISB|AIAGE5|AS2|
> |      inetd      |    |   message broker    |
> |       TCP       |    |       HTTP          |
>    ........                 ...........
>
> What's unclean about this approach, it enables centralized administration,
> single security domains, workflow management, a single "choke point" for
> security purposes. The "handlers" are in fact separate and distinct layers
> from the message broker.

Inetd uses only the port number - the address provided by the TCP
and UDP layers below it - to make its decision.

What is not clear (to me at least) is why the URI isn't enough to
make the decision - that is the address of the resource above the
HTTP layer.  I don't see why administering and managing SOAPAction
headers and Content-Types and whatever else is easier than
adminstering URIs.

--
Scott Lawrence      Architect            slawrence@virata.com
Virata       Embedded Web Technology    http://www.emweb.com/