RE: SOAP/XML Protocol and filtering, etc.

From: Dick Brooks <dick@8760.com>
Date: Mon, 7 May 2001 20:13:14 -0500
To: "Keith Moore" <moore@cs.utk.edu>, "Henrik Frystyk Nielsen" <henrikn@microsoft.com>
Cc: "Mark Nottingham" <mnot@akamai.com>, <ietf@ietf.org>, <xml-dist-app@w3.org>
Keith,

SOAP messages can take many forms. SOAPAction provides the information
needed by a generic message broker to dispatch a message to the appropriate
handler, without requiring the message broker to have intimate knowledge of
each SOAP message structure. The SOAPAction can serve as a "key" into a
table of message processors. IMO, SOAPAction is conceptually similar to the
MIME Content-type.

If a generic message broker couldn't determine the message type from a
request header it require intimate knowledge of each message structure in
order to perform dispatch functions. It's more efficient and easier to write
message broker that operates off the MIME/HTTP headers for dispatching
purposes.

Dick Brooks (ebXML liaison)
http://www.8760.com/