Re: Internationalization issue.

From: Daniel Barclay <Daniel.Barclay@digitalfocus.com>
Date: Thu, 03 May 2001 11:21:52 -0400
To: David Clay <david.clay@oracle.com>
CC: xml-dist-app@w3.org
David Clay wrote:

> I believe that this should be added to the issues list.  The issue
> is that unnormalized payloads cannot predictably be routed based
> upon their content.

(You're talking about things like "test" vs. "t&#x65;st" or CDATA
sections in XML, or "test" vs. "t%65st" in URIs, right?)

I don't think that any filtering can _ever_ be reliable without
interpreting the raw data the way it is meant to be interpreted.

(It's like trying to check for ".." segments in URLs that will be passed
to a shell without checking for backslashes that the shell will interpret.
You might catch the URL "http://host/subsection/../.." but you'll miss
"http://host/subsection/\.\./\.\.".)

Daniel
--