RE: Announce: A brief history of SOAP

Without a machine-readable metadata format, there are too many opportunities
for misinterpretation, especially when bridging to type systems that have a
strict type system (e.g., Java, .NET, C++/COM, JDBC). This got hashed out on
the SOAP list ages ago.

> what have we missed?

In a script-only world, probably nothing. However, for folks who aren't
using Perl/Python/Tcl etc, the lack of metadata makes all of this XML stuff
very stone-age.

I firmly believe that within 12 months, schema compilers will render things
like the DOM and SAX fairly obsolete except for low-level XML wonks. In the
absence of metadata, this just can't happen.

DB
http://www.develop.com/dbox