Re: Announce: A Busy Developer's Guide to SOAP 1.1

From: Ken MacLeod <ken@bitsko.slc.ut.us>
Date: 30 Mar 2001 10:34:25 -0600
To: <xml-dist-app@w3.org>, <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>, <xml-rpc@yahoogroups.com>
"Dave Winer" <dave@userland.com> writes:

> Good afternoon. Here's a pointer to a specification that describes a
> subset of SOAP 1.1 that we believe is the common subset supported by
> most if not all SOAP 1.1 implementations.
>
> http://www.xmlrpc.com/aBusyDevelopersGuideToSoap11
>
> Interop is the hot topic now, but it's proving to be a slow
> process. We felt we could accelerate it by offering developers a
> specification of a small subset of SOAP that provides a lot of
> value, is easy to implement and offers a chance for interop to mean
> something very soon.

For full disclosure, it should probably be noted that this particular
subset of SOAP for the most part only includes features that match
with Userland's product Frontier, and that Userland fully and solely
controls the specification of this subset.

Reworded, this is not merely a "simple" subset of SOAP, but one that
particularly favors one vendor's product.

  -- Ken