Re: Announce: A Busy Developer's Guide to SOAP 1.1

From: Fredrik Lundh <fredrik@pythonware.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 22:31:10 +0200
To: "Andrew Layman" <andrewl@microsoft.com>, <xml-dist-app@w3.org>
Andrew Layman wrote:
> Martin Gudgin wrote: "My point is that the [Busy Developer's Guide]
> implies that xsi:type will always be used whereas my feeling is it will
> only be used in dynamically typed systems..."
>
> Martin is correct.

for SOAP, yes; for the SOAP "profile" covered by the BDG, no.

as far as I can tell, the "BDG" intentionally limits itself to dynamically
typed environments.  (Frontier, Python, Smalltalk, Perl, Lisp, etc).  it
works fine for XML-RPC, after all...

> For example, the following instance fragment
>
> <price>12345</price>
>
> would be valid and sufficient (not require an xsi:type attribute) if the
> metadata were like
>
> int price;
>
> but would be insufficient (require an xsi:type attribute) if the
> metadata were like
>
> Object price;

or if you don't have any metadata at all, of course...

(statically typed languages are sooo 20th century ;-)

Cheers /F