XMLP and streaming

From: Aleksander Slominski <aslom@cs.indiana.edu>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 23:07:43 -0500
To: xml-dist-app@w3.org
hi,

i wanted to ask how XMLP will address support for streaming messages between producer and consumer.
unfortuantely in SOAP it is not possible - well formed SOAP message may contain Fault only as the
first child of Body.

however when message is streamed there may be some runtime fault that must be signaled to consumer
so message streaming can be safely stopped. in SOAP it is necessary to buffer whole message before
sending (event if it is several MBs) or otherwise when sending is started there is no way to signal
the receiver about fault (except maybe closing socket connection but it is not a good solution - the
receiver will not know why connection was closed and may try again to request the same message...)

i have not seen this in requirements (but i may be wrong...).

thanks,

alek
--
Aleksander Slominski, LH 316, IU, http://www.extreme.indiana.edu/~aslom
As I look afar I see neither cherry Nor tinted leaves Just a modest hut