Re: AMG: New AM document snapshot 27th March 2001

Hi Yuhichi,

Although you directed this at Stuart, I'll try to answer (too).

	To: "Williams, Stuart" <skw@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
	Cc: "'xml-dist-app@w3.org'" <xml-dist-app@w3.org>
	From: "Yuhichi Nakamura" <NAKAMURY@jp.ibm.com>
	Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 00:30:48 +0900
	Subject: Re: AMG: New AM document snapshot 27th March 2001

	Hello Stuart,
	I have two questions on handlers.
	1. Do you have fault handlers?  XML Protocol Hanlders seem to consume
	blocks, so they are
	normal handlers.  When a normal handler fails, we may want to invoke a
	fault handler which is
	associated with the normal handler.  Was there some discussion on such
	fault handling?  Or
	do you have another mechanism for fault handling?

If this is an intentional fault generated by a handler, there are
a couple of reasonable possiblities:

a) fatally fault and propagate back to the sender if possible

b) insert a block that contains information about the problem
   and targeted that to a processor that can handle the fault.
   This could be the final destination, for example.  It could
   also be a fault-managing intermediary that might have another
   way to compensate for the problem or to report the problem.

	2. 4.1 seems to address how to process blocks that are included in a given
	message.  Another
	possiblity is just to add new blocks to the given message, i.e. inserting
	digital signature block.
	We may want to provide such block-insertion handler, but I am not sure how
	such handler is
	invoked with this framework.

Presumably, the sender has to provide some information confirming
whose digital signature block should be inserted.  The sender does
this by providing this information in a block that requests that a
digital signature block be added.  This requesting block basically
gets replaced by the inserted signature block.

There is no mechanism for just firing a handler since it is dispatched
using information in a block.  You could have an intermediary that
dispatched a given handler on any block targeted at its processor
(e.g., by using the .../next actor URI).  It could insert anything it
wanted and reinsert the matching block (retargeting it to .../next,
for example).

Mark Jones

	Best regards,

	Yuhichi Nakamura