Re: intermediaries

A 'reverse proxy' is a gateway which uses the same protocol on both
sides, more or less. A gateway is an intermediary which looks like a
server, but satisfies requests through the use of another service on
the other side.

The difference between this kind of intermediary and a server is
somewhat slippery; both look like an origin server to the client,
while the surrogate (usually) uses a small bit of information (the
identity of the true origin) to forward requests, and perhaps apply
some processing to it. The line does get blurry, especially when the
device composes the service.

I think that to us, the interesting question is whether the message
or part of it persists in some fashion through the device, so that we
can apply targetting, etc.

I'd also caution against drawing too much from the HTTP for modeling
these relationships; we're going much further.

Cheers,

--
Mark Nottingham, Research Scientist
Akamai Technologies (San Mateo, CA USA)