RE: [AMG] intermediaries

From: Henrik Frystyk Nielsen <frystyk@microsoft.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 11:24:10 -0800
To: "'Yves Lafon'" <ylafon@w3.org>, <xml-dist-app@w3.org>

Yves,

I think what you are describing in this scenario is typically called a
gateway or in some cases a reverse proxy (a term that I don't really
like). You are right that it is an intermediary but it really is an
intermediary at a higher level than a SOAP/XMLP intermediary.
Intermediaries can live at all levels and in the scenario you describe,
it is part of the "application".

In a previous version of [1] which you can find at [2]. Node IV is an
example of an application layer intermediary.

Henrik

[1] http://www.w3.org/2000/xp/Group/xp-reqs-05.html#fig1
[2] http://www.w3.org/2000/xp/Group/1/02/01-xmlprotocol-model2.gif