RE: Has the semantics for Modules changed?

From: Henrik Frystyk Nielsen <frystyk@microsoft.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2001 15:11:46 -0800
To: "'Mark Nottingham'" <mnot@akamai.com>, "Jean-Jacques Moreau" <moreau@crf.canon.fr>
Cc: "Williams Stuart" <skw@hplb.hpl.hp.com>, <xml-dist-app@w3.org>

>Our current definition of Module says to me "Handler
>Specification". I can imagine also cases where a single
>document specifies multiple, related Handlers.

Minor correction - Module says: "Handler(s) and Block(s) specification".
As an example, I can write a simple authentication module specifying

  * A block carrying the challenge
  * A block carrying the credentials
  * A handler that can parse challenges and generate credentials
  * A handler that can parse credentials and generate challenges

This might of course be implemented in a symmetrical manner so that both
parties can do both but that is an implementation choice.

Henrik