Sample scripts for editing a Manila home page with SOAP

From: Jake Savin <jake@userland.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 19:13:23 -0800
To: xml-dist-app XML Distributed Applications List <xml-dist-app@w3.org>
Today, I posted some sample scripts that allow a workstation to emulate
Radio UserLand's outliner[1] in editing a Manila[2] website. They show how
to edit a Manila site's home page using SOAP-RPC:

http://www.xmlrpc.com/stories/storyReader$1355

Here's a quote from Scripting News[3]:

"We'd like to see two specific projects come from this. An editor that runs
on Unix, perhaps emacs or vi, that through Apache, allows a user to create
and edit stories and update the home page of a Manila site in the same
natural way that Radio works with Manila. The other project is to write a
.NET application that allows the CLR to be a great editor for Manila text in
the same way...

"All you'll have to do is emulate the functionality in other scripting
environments. Then we'll have a very important kind of interop, between
writers on all these platforms."

It's important to note that you can do this with XML-RPC[4] too. You're not
tied to SOAP. The RPC interface[5] to Manila is identical, no matter which
protocol you decide to use.

-Jake

[1] - http://radio.userland.com/howToUseRadioWithManila
[2] - http://manila.userland.com/