Re: Infoset based rewrite of SOAP Section 4

From: Rich Salz <rsalz@zolera.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2001 12:18:58 -0400
To: christopher ferris <chris.ferris@east.sun.com>
CC: Noah_Mendelsohn@lotus.com, Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>, xml-dist-app@w3.org

I'm an implementor -- I've done implementations of ports 80, 88, 119,
and 135 among others. :)  So I don't say this lightly:  rewriting the
SOAP spec to be based on the Infoset *would be a big loss for
implementors.*

Network protocols are not built on top of abstract "information unit"
descriptions. They are best built by from a document that describes both
bits on the wire -- the syntax -- and the meaning of those bits -- the
semantics.  An infoset approach loses the first and, for many
implementors, obscures the second in a layer of abstraction.

If there are parties that must have this information, then make it an
appendix, possibly normative.
	/r$
Encryption)
http://www.zolera.com