RE: FW: Proposals to address SOAPAction header

From: Henrik Frystyk Nielsen <henrikn@microsoft.com>
Date: Sat, 9 Jun 2001 04:16:03 -0700
To: "Doug Davis" <dug@us.ibm.com>, "Matt Long" <mlong@phalanxsys.com>
Cc: <xml-dist-app@w3.org>

I think we should differentiate between information which is part of the
HTTP protocol binding and information we would like to carry within the
SOAP envelope.

If we are discussing the latter then carrying the value as an attribute
would mean that we consider this to be different from all other
extensions to SOAP which are dealt with through the normal SOAP
extensibility model based on elements (blocks).

If we wanted to carry such information within the envelope then I think
a much more consistent mechanism would be like the SOAP-RP proposal that
provides an "action" element which is part of the SOAP-RP module [1] and
hence follows the normal extensibility model.

>a 'target' attribute on the soap-env is just one.

Henrik

[1] http://www.gotdotnet.com/team/xml_wsspecs/soap-rp/default.html#N0511