RE: Comments and element content for serialization

From: <Noah_Mendelsohn@lotus.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2001 08:35:20 -0400
To: "Paul Cotton" <pcotton@microsoft.com>
Cc: "Ashok Malhotra" <ashokma@microsoft.com>, "David E. Cleary" <davec@progress.com>, "Martin Gudgin" <marting@develop.com>, "Rich Salz" <rsalz@zolera.com>, "W3C XP" <xml-dist-app@w3.org>, xml-dist-app-request@w3.org
Paul Cotton writes:

>> We do not allow comments to be embedded
>> within simple types.  was wrong so I
>> checked with Ashok Malhotra who is an
>> Editor of the XML Schema: Datatypes spec.
>> He says that comments can be used anywhere
>> inside an element whose type is an XML
>> Schema datatype.

I sent a note a few days ago that I think bears on this.  As far as I
recall, the constructions that make clear that comments are ignored are in
the Schema Structures spec, not datatypes.  I don't have the text
available, but structures basically says that validation is done on the
_character_ children of an element or attribute, skipping comments, etc. I
_think_ that datatypes is silent on how you get from text in an XML
document to a string of charcters to validate against a type to integer.
So, I think the general conclusion is right, but we may need a bit of SOAP
spec cleanup to get all the details in there.

One Rogers Street
Cambridge, MA 02142