Re: Comments and element content for serialization

From: David Fallside <fallside@us.ibm.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2001 10:34:28 -0700
To: Rich Salz <rsalz@zolera.com>
Cc: xml-dist-app@w3.org

XSD says (taken from Sec 2.2 in the Primer [1]):

"In XML Schema, there is a basic difference between complex types which
allow elements in their content and may carry attributes, and simple types
which cannot have element content and cannot carry attributes"

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-0/

David C. Fallside, IBM
Ext Ph: 530.477.7169
Int  Ph: 544.9665
fallside@us.ibm.com

                    Rich Salz
                    <rsalz@zolera.com       To:     Paul Cotton <pcotton@microsoft.com>
                    >                       cc:     W3C XP <xml-dist-app@w3.org>
                    Sent by:                Subject:     Re: Comments and element content for serialization
                    xml-dist-app-requ
                    est@w3.org

                    06/01/2001 08:43
                    AM

> When you said "the integer 12" do you mean that the element <i> is
> defined in an XML Schema to be of type
> http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema#integer?

No.  I meant the integer 12.  The sender MIGHT be working off run-time
type information in a dynamic language, and the recipient MIGHT be
working off WSDL/XSD, but that doesn't matter.  It's purely a SOAP
question: can
simple values have content that "crosses" nodes?

> If so then why is not the answer to your question found in the XML
> Schema specifications?

Even though it's independant of schema, I'm curious what XSD says.
Unfortunately I don't have the resources (hours/day and stamina) to
fully comprehend XSD myself.
           /r$