Re: Two uses of SOAP

From: Kurt Cagle <cagle@olywa.net>
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2001 01:09:15 -0700
To: <mark.baker@sympatico.ca>
Cc: <xml-dist-app@w3.org>
Mark,

I'm somewhat of a lurker on this board, but I could see another use of SOAP
emerging over time: as a JCL for managing queued resources. Arguably, this
could fit into other of the other two divisions that you've set up, but the
RPC mechanism strikes me as being largely a client/server model where the
transactions are *roughly* synchronous (I'd describe these as moderately
coupled synchronous transactions), while application protocol frameworks are
in turn moderately coupled asynchronous transactions. A queue processing
system, on the other hand, is a weakly coupled aynchronous transaction - the
bindings on the SOAP objects make it possible to include multiple kinds of
entities in the same processing queue, while there is little correlation
between the time that a queued process is entered and the time that it's
processed (save that one must perforce come after the other).

As I said, it could very well be thought of as one of the other two, but
there are just enough differences in treatment and implementation that it
might be worth examining it as a separate division.

-- Kurt Cagle