RPCTF: issues affected by removing dependencies on encoding from RPC

From: Jacek Kopecky <jacek@idoox.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 23:17:51 +0200 (CEST)
To: <xml-dist-app@w3.org>
 Hello all. 8-)

 On the RPC task force's telecon I took the action item to list
the issues affected by removing from RPC the dependencies on
encoding.

 There will, of course, have to stay _one_ dependence on _an_
encoding: the actual data must be encoded. I dismiss this
dependence because it is not a direct dependence on the current
SOAP section 5.

 I only considered the issues that I listed before in [1] as
pertaining to RPC because I believe that if I did my job well in
[1] no other issues should be affected by this change to RPC.

 The winners are:

 #17: the rewritten section on RPC will most probably contain a
part of the prose needed to satisfy this issue - namely it will
say how and when to use encoding in RPC. More prose will have to
be in the section on encoding.

 #78: since a lot of this issue's problems lie in RPC and "root"
is an encoding attribute, this issue will be affected greatly, if
not closed, when we rid RPC from encoding dependencies.

 #47: since we aren't going to create a Great Unified Data Model,
and since the RPC section won't use the data model terms, the
data model of section 5 can stay in section 5 (although I agree
that it should be described explicitely at least a bit). So this
issue will be affected - the resolution will (IMHO) become "Our
data model will not be very separated (will not be explicitly
independent) from the actual physical representation."

                            Jacek Kopecky

                            Idoox
                            http://www.idoox.com/

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/xml-dist-app/2001Jul/0245.html