Re: Summary of the binding discussion (was Re: Protocol Bindings)

From: christopher ferris <chris.ferris@east.sun.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 21:29:57 -0400
To: Michael Brennan <Michael_Brennan@Allegis.com>
CC: "'Hugo Haas'" <hugo@w3.org>, xml-dist-app@w3.org
Michael,

In the context of a binding to a true transport
protocol such as TCP or UDP, it is often necessary to
"frame" a message such that it can be effectively
transmitted over the wire and safely reconstituted without
loss (or with the ability to identify loss).

HTTP's Content-Length header is an example of a framing
mechanism. DIME provides framing as does BEEP.

There's a really good description/discussion/analysis of
framing and framing mechanisms in Marshall Rose's paper at[1].

Cheers,

Chris

[1] http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-mrose-beep-design-03.txt