Re: xp requirement document specifies headers

On Mon, Jan 22, 2001, Eric Prud'hommeaux wrote:
> I noticed that the xp requirements document now defines and requires
> a header [1]. Due to a limitation of two participants from an
> organization, I have not participated in the teleconferences or face
> to face meetings. However, I don't believe that there is a paper trail
> in xml-dist-app [2] documenting consensus on adopting this
> terminology/constraint from the May 2000 SOAP note [3].

The revised R305[8] provides an analogy with SOAP headers.

However, I think that the glossary goes beyond this, defining[10] the
XP message as containing an XP header and an XP body, ruling out, for
example, footers.

At the December face-to-face[9], Yves mentionned using footers (for
example for MD5 sums):

   Yves: Nothing precludes you from adding information at the end. If you
   put headers at the beginning of the message for intermediaries,
   doesn't preclude you

I think that the glossary is making here a technical decision based on
SOAP that we should make during the protocol design, not at the
requirements stage.

Since the body is a particular type of header (a set of "XP blocks
intended for ultimate XP receiver"), I am not sure that this
distinction is really necessary.

  8 http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/xml-dist-app/2001Jan/0027.html
  9 http://www.w3.org/2000/xp/Group/0/12/f2f-minutes
 10 http://www.w3.org/2000/xp/Group/xp-reqs-05#N3010