RE: Comment on Evolution of XML protocol requirements

From: Oisin Hurley <ohurley@iona.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 12:25:12 -0000
To: <xml-dist-app@w3.org>

> -> Upon failure of envelope version support, there should be a consistent
> error indicating so. This then
> leads to the question of "what version of envelope should that error be
> contained in?" The following
> question surfaces: "What versions do you support?".

I agree - the failure models for basic XP features should be normative.
> "............The specification must define the concepts of backwards
> compatible and backwards incompatible
> evolution through a consistent mechanism over time that encompasses
> incompatable version detection
> and discovery of supported XP versions."

We particularly wished to avoid the used of the word 'version' in the
text because it was seen by many as a solution to the problem of
compatibility rather than as a requirement. As it stands, the text
says - 'we have to be able to do this, but we don't care how'. The
next step is to say 'we do it using versioning, in this particular

ohurley ta iona tod com
+353 1 637 2639