RE: DR305 -- ongoing discussion

From: Henrik Frystyk Nielsen <frystyk@microsoft.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2001 17:06:56 -0800
To: "Henry Lowe" <hlowe@omg.org>
Cc: <xml-dist-app@w3.org>
> Unless I misunderstand what you are suggesting, I believe
> this would get into subsetting (which probably doesn't help
> interoperability).  I was looking for a set of criteria by
> which to judge whether XP meet the goals listed in the original
> DR305, e.g., if XP can't support signatures, it has to be fixed
> (same for reliable delivery, etc.).

It is not subsetting at all but rather that it should possible to write a
compliant XP receiver or sender that can only receive or send one specific or
a few specific messages. As an example, it should be possible to write a
compliant XP sender in a garage door and have the only message that it can
ever send be "I am open".

Henrik