Re: XP->SOAP/1.1 requirement mappings for R8xx (Intermediaries)

On Wed, Jan 31, 2001 at 11:42:33AM -0800, Henrik Frystyk Nielsen wrote:

> >          SOAP doesn't have a firm conception of a protocol binding or
> >          the requirments placed upon it - HTTP is assumed.
>
> I am not sure what you mean by "assume" - the SOAP spec refers several
> places to text indicating that HTTP is not assumed. An example is
> section 1.3 where it refers to example 1 [1]:
[snip]

I missed those the first time around. I'm still a bit uncomfortable
that SOAP doesn't place explicit requirements on future protocol
bindings, though.

> > * R811 - "... must define and accommodate processing intermediaries."
> >
> >          SOAP accommodates processing intermediaries, but does not
> >          define them. See also R806 and R808.
>
> I believe it does talk about intermediaries in the sense that it defines
> them as being SOAP processors like any other SOAP processor and defines
> a processing model for all SOAP processors. Is this what you are
> referring to?

I couldn't find a definition for something equivalent to 'processing
intermediary'.

--
Mark Nottingham, Research Scientist
Akamai Technologies (San Mateo, CA)