RE: Proposed Issue 173 Resolution (Hierarchical Fault Codes)

From: Henrik Frystyk Nielsen <henrikn@microsoft.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 09:02:07 -0800
To: "Marc Hadley" <marc.hadley@sun.com>, <xml-dist-app@w3.org>

As a friendly amendment to the friendly amendment, may I suggest that we
use elements rather than attributes for carrying the fault code values.
Elements seem more flexible as they themselves can have attributes and
structure in the future. There was also some discussion about this
earlier in this thread [10]. That, is an example would look like this:

<soap-env:Fault>
   <faultcode>
	<value>soap-env:Client</code>
      <subcode>
	   <value>rpc:BadArguments"</value>
         <subcode>
            <value>app:MissingArgument</value>
         </subcode>
      </subcode>
   </faultcode>
</soap-env:Fault>

>On last nights WG conference call I took an action to propose
>a resolution to issue 173[1]. The proposal presented here is
>intended as a friendly ammendment to the resolution proposed
>in Henrik's mail[2]
>much of whose content is included here for completeness. The
>changes are
>the result of making the "sub" fault hierarchical (as agreed on the
>call) by merging in the initial hierarchical proposal from
>Martin Gudgin[3].

Henrik

[10] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/xml-dist-app/2001Nov/0018.html