RE: TBTF: A small Doodle of an HTTP Binding

Noah,

Thank you for clarifying your model although it has left me quite
concerned about the scope of our current enterprise. A few comments
follow:

* In your definition of "module" you mention that "(Note:  I am
intentionally not distinguishing modules which are specified in terms of
a fixed set of "headers" vs. those that might have other properties
outside the envelope...in my view, the same tools and abstractions (such
as the ability to define properties) are available to those who write
specifications for modules as we have in defining core SOAP features.)".

Unless I am missing something I can't see how this can be true - we do
not in general have the same mechanisms available for describing
features *outside* the SOAP envelope as we do *inside* the envelope. For
example:

1) we can't rely on a consistent naming model (in SOAP we have qnames of
the header entry)

2) we can't rely on any processing enforcement (in SOAP we have the
mustUnderstand attribute)

3) we can't rely on support for intermediaries (in SOAP we have the
actor attribute)

* I don't think we need the separation between binding specifications
and binding implementations. Given that we shied away from providing any
distinction between a SOAP "module" and a SOAP "handler" in the SOAP
spec terminology, I would encourage us not to attempt doing this within
the binding framework and rather focus on the implementation independent
aspects. For the purpose of defining a framework, where would we ever
want to differentiate between a binding running on Unix or Windows?

* You state that "Feature interface specifications:  for each core
feature of SOAP, and for each module, there is an interface
specification." but I am not sure where the notion of an interface comes
from in this context nor how it relates to our notion of blocks and SOAP
extensions.

Given the current structure of SOAP, I think a more natural separation
of issues is the following

A) Features defined *within* the envelope follow the normal SOAP
processing rules and are generally referred to SOAP extensions or blocks

B) Features defined *below* the envelope may follow any processing rules
defined by the environment in which the features are defined. Features
are generally defined as "properties" and the environment is generally
defined as a "binding". Bindings may refer to properties in other
bindings and say that they support them in various ways and bindings may
be nested with other bindings in order to compose composite bindings.

In this model (which I described in some detail in [3]) there is no
notion of interfaces, implementations, or platform specific details. It
allows one to make bindings that are completely abstract and for other
bindings to refer to these abstract properties and it allows for
properties to be propagated through nested bindings.

This leaves us with a model that simply consists of bindings and
properties - whether you want to have abstract bindings with abstract
properties or very concrete bindings with concrete properties is
completely up to the author of the binding.

One of the nice properties of this model is that bindings can be
composed freely. For example, I can define a DIME binding for dealing
with binary attachments in the following manner:

* If I know about the SOAP attachment binding, I may want to reuse the
attachment property defined by that binding as it may cover what I need.
If not then I can define my own property that abstractly talks about
what it means to have an attachment. I could even define a binding with
only the abstract notion of an "attachment" and have the DIME use that
property in its binding.

* I can use the DIME binding directly over TCP which gives me a binding
with one set of properties

* I can use DIME over HTTP which gives me another binding with another
set of properties

* I can use DIME over SMTP which gives me yet another binding with some
third set of properties

Are there any cases where this is not sufficient?

Henrik Frystyk Nielsen
mailto:henrikn@microsoft.com

[3] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/xml-dist-app/2001Aug/0139.html