Re: Message exchanges over multiple transports?

Miles Sabin wrote:

> A question for the TBTF/AMG ...
>
> Has any consideration been given to the possibility of message
> exchanges over multiple transports, eg. request-response with the
> request delivered via HTTP, and the response delivered via SMTP?
> Perhaps with constraints provided by the initial sender, eg. "return
> the response via HTTP if an immediate reponse is possible, otherwise
> deliver a deferred response via SMTP"?
>
> On the face of it, something like this could be very useful ... but
> maybe also very ugly to specify cleanly.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Miles
>
> --
> Miles Sabin                                     InterX
> Internet Systems Architect                      27 Great West Road
> +44 (0)20 8817 4030                             Middx, TW8 9AS, UK
> msabin@interx.com                               http://www.interx.com/

In answer to your question, yes. It is essentially the same problem
as request/response over an asynch binding, and requires some manner
of correlation such as the correlation extension I have proposed
for the RPCTF [1].

Cheers,

Chris

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/xml-dist-app/2001Jul/0260.html