Re: Proposed resolution: issues 78, 16

ok- #1 is a good reason.  8-)
If we do go with "start" we can remove "root" right?
-Dug

Jacek Kopecky <jacek@idoox.com>@w3.org on 08/02/2001 11:42:18 AM

Sent by:  xml-dist-app-request@w3.org

To:   Doug Davis/Raleigh/IBM@IBMUS
cc:   <xml-dist-app@w3.org>
Subject:  Re: Proposed resolution: issues 78, 16

 Doug,
 There are couple of reasons for "start":
 1) with "root", you have to parse the whole body to see if the
attribute was not used in case it really was not, while with
"start" you either know it's the first element (if "start"'s not
present) or you only have to parse up to the element pointed to
by "start",
 2) "root" belongs to encodings and if we move it to the core,
the multiref notion would be moved as well (because "root" is for
use with multirefs) and we would practically mandate a particular
way of referencing data inside the payload,
 3) as has been pointed out a few times, "start" has more uses,
like e.g. it could point to the first header to be processed.
 Kind regards

                            Jacek Kopecky

                            Idoox
                            http://www.idoox.com/