RE: [i95, i22] - Proposal for clarifying use of SOAPAction

From: Henrik Frystyk Nielsen <frystyk@microsoft.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 09:54:29 -0700
To: "'Rich Salz'" <rsalz@zolera.com>, <mario.jeckle@daimlerchrysler.com>
Cc: <xml-dist-app@w3c.org>

>> >1- Remove HTTP SOAP Header all together.
>> >2- Keep HTTP Soap Header but define firm rules for its content.
>
>The header is useful as a hint to existing transports.

Yes, and there is nothing that prevents similar information to be
carried in other places for other bindings.

>It could be made MORE useful but should it track the header
>element or the SOAP version?  It is also arguably redundant,
>duplicating either data in the header or in the MIME content-type.

One could have overloaded the media type but that would be suspect
because the media type doesn't imply any action whereas the SOAPAction
header field does.

>I think we should leave it as-is, since it seems to strike a
>compromise.

I agree with this - note that my rewording proposal doesn't in fact
change anything - it tries to clarify some of the edge cases that were
not described in the current SOAP/1.1

Henrik