From: Doug Davis [mailto:dug@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Thursday, April 26, 2001 6:33 AM
To: frystyk@microsoft.com
Cc: xml-dist-app@w3.org; soapbuilders@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [soapbuilders] Re: [i95, i22] - Proposal for clarifying use of
SOAPAction

I'm wondering if it would be worthwhile to take a step back and
examine the entire use of the SOAPAction HTTP header.
I've heard from several people in the XMLP WG that SOAPAction
should _not_ be used for routing, but I'm certain that there are
some SOAP implementations that use it for that exact purpose.
The SOAP spec says that the SOAPAction header is supposed to be
used as an indication of the "intent" of the message but that
can really mean anything (especially when the field is optional -
ie. it can be "").

It seems to me that "intent" is just another way of saying that
its a "hint", so when you want to add text like:
  Often the value of the SOAPAction header field is related to the
  contents of the SOAP Body element but there is no mechanism for
  automatically computing the value based on the SOAP Body element.
it seems to be contradictory.  If SOAPAction is just a "hint"
then the real (fully qualified) "intent" of the message is someplace
else - probably in the Body element.

I'd like to clear up what the "real" purpose of the SOAP Action
Header is supposed to be.  I know its supposed to be for "filtering"
but it seems inconsistent to then not require it to have *any*
relationship to the actual SOAP message itself.  In one of
the XMLP docs (I can't remember which one right now) it talks
about being able to switch between transports, well how does the
SOAPAction get reconstructed when the next transport is HTTP if
there's no relationship between it and the SOAP message itself?

I'd like to propose that we take a different approach and do one
of the following:
 1 - Remove HTTP SOAP Header all together.
     Why is HTTP special - we don't define this type of "intent"
     field for any other transport so why this one?  If people want
     to have an "intent" field then use the HTTP URL.
or
 2 - Keep HTTP Soap Header but define firm rules for its content.
     For example, perhaps something like, its supposed to be the
     Target Object URI and in the RPC case it needs to also
     include the method name.  To me _not_ having a firm rule
     leaves the definition of "intent" too wide open and
     therefore can render it meaningless.

I'd go for the 2nd one, but that's just my $0.02

-Dug

ps.  Ever notice that people will are only willing to pay a "penny
     for your thoughts", but when you offer your opinion it's worth
     twice that.  8-)

"Henrik Frystyk Nielsen" <frystyk@microsoft.com>@w3.org on 04/25/2001
03:09:50 PM

Please respond to <frystyk@microsoft.com>