comments on AM

From: Mark Nottingham <mnot@akamai.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 22:09:01 -0700
To: XML Distributed Applications List <xml-dist-app@w3.org>

I think these can be addressed editorially, if necessary.

* The notation used for primitives (in section three and five) and
  parameters (section three) is not very abstract; it looks like an
  API or object model, rather than an abstract one. Suggestion:
  change from operation.primitive to prose (i.e., just primitive,
  but see below)

* The naming convention for operations and other basic concepts is
  reminiscent of code, with underscores, lack of space, and
  abbreviation; suggest changing to plain english; e.g.,
    XML_UnitData -> UnitData operation
    BindingContext -> Binding Context
    start-resp -> Start Response
    Correlation.MessageRef -> Correlation Message Reference

* Section 3.1 communicates concepts in pseudo-code rather than prose.
  Suggestion: rewrite into prose, or remove and let the explanations
  stand on their own.

If people feel strongly that the current approach is appropriate, so
be it, I just want to put these concerns to bed.

Cheers,

--
Mark Nottingham, Research Scientist
Akamai Technologies (San Mateo, CA USA)