RE: encodingStyle

From: Frank DeRose <frankd@tibco.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2001 12:52:28 -0700
To: <xml-dist-app@w3.org>
> Martin Gudgin writes:
>
> >> If schema descriptions of XMLP messages are available
> >> then no specific encoding is necessary.

I agree. The task, then, is to enumerate the set of things for which no
schema descriptions are available. First stab: arrays, unions.

> A rare case where I don't quite agree with Gudge, though I might agree
> with the spirit of where he's trying to go.  The SOAP V1.1 (chapter
> 5)encoding, in particular, describes not just the legal forms of a
> message, but the interpretation of those forms in a graph model.

Noah, as your distinction between "the legal forms of a message" and "the
interpretation of those forms" suggests, haven't we left the realm of
encodingStyle and crossed over into semantics. Perhaps we need to have
Martin define a set of "type attributes" for SOAP. ;>)