RE: Announce: A brief history of SOAP

From: Andrew Layman <andrewl@microsoft.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2001 12:07:07 -0700
To: <xml-dist-app@w3.org>
I think that the point is that any exchange of messages via SOAP (or
otherwise) requires that the parties have mutual access to some sort of
metadata describing the types of the data being exchanged.  WSDL
provides such metadata in an implementation-neutral way that supports
and leverages the W3C specifications such as Schema.