Re: Quick Survey - Use SOAP

From: <Noah_Mendelsohn@lotus.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2000 16:03:25 -0400
To: "S. Mike Dierken" <mike@knownow.com>
Cc: xml-dist-app@w3.org
Rank the following (1-high, 5-low) in importance with regard to the work
you
are doing or plan on doing with SOAP:

[2] - synchronous request/response generic XML
[1] - synchronous request/response RPC method calls
[2] - asynchronous message to a queue (single consumer)
[3] - asynchronous message to a topic (multiple subscribers)
[4] - other - describe (RPC over async transport, such as SMTP, MQ, etc. Why?  Gives programming
and description language transparency with case 2 above, while support a
broad range of transports and occasionally disconnected operation.  In
practice, such "calls" are likely to be extremely long running, and
perhaps unreliable, but I think they are worthy of some architectural
consideration.  I believe that Microsoft's asynchronous COM object
architecture can be viewed as an example of enabling what appears to be an
RPC model for use in async environments.  Note that I have ranked this
priority 4 and do not want to boil the ocean just now discussing it.  I do
think it goes somewhere on the list of topics for consideration at the
right time.)

One Rogers Street
Cambridge, MA 02142