RE: Removal (Time for XMail?)

From: Jeff Smith <jeffs@metamail.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2000 14:25:58 -0400
To: "'Bill la Forge '" <b.laforge@jxml.com>, "'xml-dist-app@w3.org'" <xml-dist-app@w3.org>
>I'd also like to make this the basis for an extensible XML-P2P platform.
>A mail application on top of that would be really exciting.

I've been pursuing some ideas of my own on an XML-based P2P e-mail protocol.
Mostly trying to get my head around how it would look and whether it would
be appropriate to suggest to the XML Protocol group.

I initially thought that e-mail had enough legacy foibles that a new
XML-based protocol for e-mail would have to be considered in isolation from
the XML Protocol effort. But now I am not so sure. There certainly do seem
to be a lot of people in this group who see the overlap.

It wouldn't surprise me to find that, whether we intend to or not, the
results of these discussions will be the 'de facto' specification of a new
e-mail communications protocol.

Food for thought...

Jeff Smith
Chief Technology Officer