RE: Issues with Packaging Application Payloads

From: David Ezell <David_E3@Verifone.Com>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 08:42:47 -0400
To: "'HUGHES,MARK (Non-HP-FtCollins,ex1)'" <mark_hughes@non.hp.com>
Cc: xml-dist-app@w3.org
On Wed 10/18/2000 6:27 PM +5:00 Mark Hughes wrote:
>  Then there's #4, the *RIGHT WAY* to do this, which is:
>A) Before inserting your arbitrary text into your XML wrapper, run it
>through a filter that replaces & with &amp;, < with &lt;, and > with &gt;.
>B) Before handing arbitrary text back to the user, run it through a filter
>that replaces &lt; with <, &gt; with >, and &amp; with &.
>
>  Voila, the problem is solved.  You don't have the byte bloat of base64,
>you don't have the limitation of not including ]]> in CDATA, and you don't
>have to mess up validation.

Not a bad idea for simple uses, but it won't nest (at least I don't think it
will):
the export filter would convert all the PCDATA at once.  It seems to me a safe
bet
that if you need to nest one level, you'll have use cases for nesting to N
levels.

It may be that the other suggestions suffer the same drawback.

Thanks,
David