Re: XML within XML - includes, transcludes, whatever

On Tue, 3 Oct 2000, S. Mike Dierken wrote:

> [...] but XML already has an ID scoping mechanism - it is the
> 'document' concept. A document IS a scope.

Wow!  I never thought that I would read this on a w3c list...

> XML is a single document specification - it is a modular thing and
> multi-document concepts can be layered on top. There is no need to
> add more and more things into the base definition of XML. Many
> people have been using this internal-ref and external-ref approach
> for many years - just look at the Web.
[...]
> In short, I am against putting multi-document concepts into a
> single-document specification. There will always be a need to
> reference things outside the current document, and that mechanism
> is sufficient to deal with the problem.

An echo from the past:

http://list.mc.duke.edu/scripts/WA.EXE?A2=ind9806&L=sgml-hl7&F=&S=&P=5337

(If the link doesn't work - they're having problems with the server -
<URL:http://www.nyct.net/~aray/notes/wek-namespaces.txt> is a copy.)

Arjun