RE: ebXML Abandons SOAP

At 01:42 PM 10/2/00 -0600, Jack, Adam wrote:
>Maybe XML addressing/routing/context information with separate (not
>contained inside the XML) MIME bodyparts is the way to go....

I hate to start a food fight, but I have to admit that I have a _very_ hard
time trying to figure out why anyone would want to preserve, extend, or
encourage MIME multipart transfers for XML.

While I do find some parts of MIME useful (MIME content type identifiers
for instance), I can't say I find the "here's a bunch of blocks of
information" approach of MIME multipart transfers very useful, even for the
email purpose where I encounter them every day.

I don't mind messaging approaches in contrast to RPC approaches, but
reliance on MIME multipart seems like asking for some serious trouble in
the future.  It was built for email, and sort of partly works for email,
but I think it's hard to argue that it does a great job, and I'd like to
suggest that it's time to consider a different approach.

Maybe blocks?  Maybe something else?

Simon St.Laurent
XHTML: Migrating Toward XML