Re: Removal (Time for XMail?)

Laird Popkin <laird@io.com> wrote:

> Yep, and there is a spec for allowing people to send URI's over the web. ICE
> (see http://www.icestandard.org) has both push and pull content syndication
> for this reason.

Thanks for the URL. I've looked at this before, didn't look in too much
detail because the spec was rather complicated. I'll take another look now,
however.

> Given all of the various possibilities, I'm curious which combinations are
> most interesting to you?

Personally, I like applications that feel like pull and really like those
that actually are pull. While I check my email using POP currently, I'd much
prefer it if my computer could notify my email server when I had a net
connection, and have it forward all the email to my machine, so I'd be
notified as soon as it was received. Then, of course, it would stop doing
this when it discovered I had gone off line.

In addition, as mentioned before, there is a need for push (in protocol
form) over the Web. Formats like RSS, etc. would save lots of bandwidth and
resources if push were available. Services that track pages (like Mind-It!
and SpyOnIt) would become much more accurate and useful, if they notified
you immediately once a page had changed (or close too it) rather than every
hour, two hours, or however long it takes them to sweep. The problem is that
pull protocols don't scale as well as push for these types of apps.

--
        Aaron Swartz         |"This information is top security.
<http://swartzfam.com/aaron/>|     When you have read it, destroy yourself."