Re: Removal (Time for XMail?)

From: Fredrik Lundh <fredrik@pythonware.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2000 12:02:11 +0200
To: <xml-dist-app@w3.org>
Ed wrote:
> Even if you knew in advance how many CDATA delimiters your data
> contained, this wouldn't work because the data itself contains markup
> (]]>) that wouldn't be passed along to the application. That is, what
> you're indicating as "data]" has an imbedded "]]>").

Sorry, I don't get it.  With the encoding I described, the parser passes
a number of CDATA sections to the application.  In the simple case (one
embedded ]]>), the application gets one section ending with "]", and
another starting with "]>".  With Bill's alternate encoding, it gets three
sections (CDATA followed by character data followed by CDATA).

> However, MIME allows for encodings of binary formats where you couldn't
> be predict where such markup (]]>) would appear.

There's no need to predict anything -- just put CDATA delimiters around
the whole thing, and encode embedded ]]>'s when you see them...

What am I missing?

</F>