RE: White paper: Bootstrapping the Two-Way-Web

There's certainly a long tradition of programmers ignoring standards and
inventing a new protocol to suit their particular needs. There's also a long
tradition of pointing out that said programmers are either ignorant or
engaging in NIH.

It's always easier (short-term!) to invent something specific for your
particular application if you don't have to think about the general case.
But in the long term, it may be very hard to port it to another platform, or
to use it for similar but non-identical scenarios.  The purpose of
standardization committees, inefficient and unwieldy and time-consuming
though they are, is PRECISELY to encourage people to work together and
produce something that will be interoperable across time, across platforms,
and across applications.

Every single copy of MS Exchange 2000 and IIS 5.0 supports WebDAV, as does
Apache with mod_dav.  Every copy of Office 2000 and IE 5 is a WebDAV client,
various Linux UI/browser communties are close to (or are) shipping WebDAV
support, there are around half a dozen WebDAV client libraries for various
languages.  There are numerous special-purpose servers and clients
supporting WebDAV. All these seem to interoperate adequately.

"Lots of ways" to interact with CMS scares me, because it IS hard to
implement yet another protocol.  The document management, locking, property
hierarchy, link behaviour, collection properties and permission models all
must be harmonizable.  They won't be unless they begin from a common --
standard! -- model.

I laud and agree with your acceptance of extensions/extensibility.  However,
fragmentation introduces incompatibility.

Lisa