[DR305] Complex apps

On Wed 11/15/2000 6:37 PM+5:00 Martin Gudgin wrote:
>We're in grave danger of biting off more than we can chew. I do not want to
>commit at this stage to all the things listed here ( authentication,
>encryption, reliable delivery, sessions and transactions ). I think XP
>should not PRECLUDE these things, but I think they should be provided in
>seperate specs.

Agreed.  The intent is to express only a little more than "not preclude",
in that it should "encourage a common approach" for providing such
facilities, which would make the follow-on specs you mention easier
to create.  We do not mean to imply that XP would contain a design for
these facilities.

Possibly as follows.  It better expresses the intent in the first
sentence.

DR305 (Absorbs old DRs: DR003)
The XML Protocol design SHOULD encourage a common approach for
providing facilities (in future specifications) which can support
complex applications.  Such applications may be characterized
as having higher consequences of failure, leading to the following
needs:  the need to ensure message integrity (authentication) and
privacy (encryption), the need to be aware of delivery semantics
(reliable delivery, path to service), and the need to support more
complex exchange patterns for long-lived sessions and for
transactional semantics (sessions and transactions).

Thanks
-David