DR200: RPC conventions - bullet items

From: Glen Daniels <gdaniels@allaire.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 13:23:57 -0500
To: "'xml-dist-app@w3.org'" <xml-dist-app@w3.org>

There used to be a bullet item in DR200 which read as follows:

     * Provisions for matching response messages to request
       messages for cases in which matching is not provided
       by the underlying transport protocol.

This item was removed as a result of a conversation on the wg list, in which
it was pointed out that there were other places (specifically DR502) which
already referenced this requirement.

Bullet item 3, I believe, is also covered implicitly by DR703.

I can see removing this one too, but I'd actually rather see the other
bullet come back, since I believe both request/response matching and
explicit error handling are important features of RPC which deserve to be
called out here.

I also didn't notice any other requirement which actually covers uniquely
specifying an XP "target" in the general case.  We might want to pull bullet
item 1 out into a separate requirement which states that targets for XP
messages can be uniquely specified using URI syntax, which is important for
XP in general, not just RPC.

Glen Daniels
Allaire Corp
Engineering Manager