[DR612] XP and HTTP Binding

From: Martin Gudgin <marting@develop.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 22:03:13 -0800
To: "XML Protocol Comments" <xml-dist-app@w3.org>
Presumably the the phrase 'Any protocol binding to HTTP must respect the
semantics of HTTP and should demonstrate that it can interoperate with
existing HTTP applications.' is stating that the binding must demonstrate
interop rather than XP itself?

Also, I don't understand the phrase 'a subset of HTTP that is compatible
with pre-XP Internet browser technology.'

Having a normative binding to HTTP is a 'good thing'. I think it would also
be good to have other bindings defined, perhaps non-normatively in the base
XP spec, perhaps normatively in other specs layered on top of XP. I think
the main problem with having only a *single* normative binding is that
people will assume ( wrongly ) that XP is tied to that protocol.

Gudge