RE: Proposed changes to 8xx

From: Henrik Frystyk Nielsen <frystyk@microsoft.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 18:28:56 -0800
To: "MOREAU Jean-Jacques" <moreau@crf.canon.fr>, "Mark Nottingham" <mnot@akamai.com>
Cc: "XML Distributed Applications List" <xml-dist-app@w3.org>, "RUELLAN Herve" <ruellan@crf.canon.fr>
> Mark, I've been reading this whole section as meaning
> intermediaries are
> optional, i.e. some XP requests will contain information destined at
> intermediairies, others will not; but I don't think this has
> been made very
> explicit so far.
>
> Shouldn't we clarify the surrounding text, and/or add a
> further requirement?
> (unless we think all XP implementations should definitely support
> intermediaries)

There is a fine destinction here between including information destined
at intermediaries and having XP processors support intermediaries. The
former is a question of indicating intended use of intermediaries within
a message, the latter about defining a processing model that included
intermediaries.

It is absolutely a must that the processing model includes intermediaries as
it is very difficult to retrofit this later on. We learned that the hard way
from HTTP. And, in order to actually use intermediaries, we also need a
mechanism for addressing them.

Henrik