RE: Errors and broken links

From: Lucas Gonze <lucas@worldos.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2000 16:18:58 -0500 (EST)
To: <xml-dist-app@w3.org>
Also, the WorldOS protocol has been updated.  We have eliminated the fields:

A simple message is:

  <!-- this is an optional field -->

We have added a new field, msg->protocol->superclass.  There may be may be 0 or
more instances of it.

An example that incorporates the superclass and funcdata elements is:

    <superclass>HTTP 1.1 Post</superclass>
    <superclass>HTTP Post</superclass>
    <superclass>HTTP Message</superclass>

    <!-- arguments for "HTTP 1.1 Post" -->

    <!-- arguments for "HTTP Post" -->

    <!-- arguments for "HTTP Message" -->

When a requested function is not found, a node attempts to use the nearest
superclass.  In the above example, a node that did not support "HTTP 1.1 Post"
but did support "HTTP Post" would use the handler for "HTTP Post".

Another example is:
    <function>Do Addition</function>
    <superclass>Forward this request if you don't support the above
    <!-- arguments to "Do Addition" -->
    <!-- arguments to the superclass -->
    <time to live>3</time to live>

The purpose of the superclass argument is to support feature and version
negotiation.  We hope that it will allow graceful degradation from a newer
version of a protocol to an older one, or from a specialized message type to a
general one.

Comments on this approach are welcome.

Lucas Gonze
WorldOS Corporation