RE: XML within XML - includes, transcludes, whatever

From: Arjun Ray <aray@q2.net>
Date: Sat, 4 Nov 2000 22:15:24 -0500 (EST)
To: xml-dist-app@w3.org
On Wed, 1 Nov 2000, Sean McGrath wrote:
> At 12:59 PM 11/1/00 -0500, Gavin Thomas Nicol wrote:
>

>> In other words, read in the XML as a well-formed document, then
>> apply validation to the bits you care about.

> Validating the bits you care about and ignoring the (well formed)
> bits you don't is a very powerful idea.

Indeed.  Architectures!  The WebSGML TC makes this easier too:)

I have a somewhat clunky demo of this, using an example drawn from Ron
Bourret's XML Namespaces FAQ:

  http://www.nyct.net/~aray/sgml/demo/dept/

(I was using an old rev of SP, so I had to fake a couple of things
with an 'any.dtd' to get a well-formed document past the validator,
but the demonstration of composition *does* work.)

> DTDs specifically disallowed this sort of thing as validating
> parsers have to barf on occurences of elements with undeclared
> element types.

Check out IMPLYDEF in the WebSGML TC

  http://www.ornl.gov/sgml/sc34/document/0029.htm

Arjun