Re: Web RPCs Considered Harmful

From: David Boreham <david_list@boreham.org>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 06:24:23 -0700
To: <xml-dist-app@w3.org>
> I don't see obfuscation as being the problem. I'm more concerned about RPC
> interfaces which are fully published, but can't map onto other
> implementations than the initial one. Consider an interface that requires
> every object to be manipulated to have some unique numeric ID; a system
> that doesn't assign numeric IDs to its objects is going to need massive
> kludges to implement such an interface.

Clearly there needs to be a standardization process for each "RPC" interface
which is to be widely used. Perhaps a useful analogy is the SNMP MIB
development process, or the LDAP control specification process.

In the context of this thread, I am still entirely not convinced that
the "RPC-ishness" of the encoding protocol makes one little bit
of difference here.