Re: SOAP header for authentication etc

From: Henrik Frystyk Nielsen <frystyk@microsoft.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2000 11:03:34 -0700
To: "Andy Feng" <afeng@netscape.com>, <xml-dist-app@w3.org>
The SOAP spec itself doesn't indicate any conventions. This allows us to
keep SOAP core small and simple over time but you are absolutely right
that we can't stop there. There needs to be work started on various
features that people need like authentication etc.

As the key focus here is on interoperability I think we as a community
should start identifying items and propose specific encodings for these
items.

Any takers for getting together a list of features that people would
like?

> SOAP specification does not explicityly define the structure of
> <SOAP-ENV:Header> element. It leaves
> applications to include whatever they want within <SOAP-ENV:Header>.
> Typical header entries, mentioned in the
> specification. include authentication, transaction management, and
> payment etc.
>
> Are there any standard or convetion for specifying authentication etc
> within <SOAP-ENV:Header>?

Henrik Frystyk Nielsen,
mailto:frystyk@microsoft.com