RE: Announcement: WWW9 Panel on XML and Protocols, 17 May 2000

Eric

I've had a quick look at your architecture document (LOTP) and understand
why you want to model it on SOAP. However there is a whole class of problems
that *need* to be addressed for successful B2B that SOAP in it's current
form does not address. I posted an email to the SOAP list on this which said

<snip>
What it [SOAP] doesn't do, includes (this isn't a complete list):
*    reliable messaging - you need to know your information got through once
and only once
*    one-way messaging - you fire a message and then forget it
*    publish and subscribe
*    asynchronous and synchronous exchanges over HTTP, SMTP or other
transports
*    support for multi-Gb messages (yes Gb not Mb)
*    support for multiple payloads that aren't XML
*    security, so that you know the request has not been tampered with, is
authorized and should be acted on
</snip>

This resulted in extensive discussion on SOAP(RPC) vs Messaging that
concluded that what you really needed was SOAP **AND** messaging.

How do you think support for these requirements fits in with your plans for
LOTP. Currently they are all being addressed by ebXML Transport Routing and
Packaging Working Group and I want to find a way to avoid re-inventing the
wheel.

Thoughts.

David