RE: Announcement: WWW9 Panel on XML and Protocols, 17 May 2000

From: David Burdett <david.burdett@commerceone.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2000 13:26:15 -0700
To: "'Eric Prud'hommeaux'" <eric@w3.org>, Ken MacLeod <ken@bitsko.slc.ut.us>
Cc: xml-dist-app@w3.org, Janet Daly <janet@w3.org>

I've had a quick look at your architecture document (LOTP) and understand
why you want to model it on SOAP. However there is a whole class of problems
that *need* to be addressed for successful B2B that SOAP in it's current
form does not address. I posted an email to the SOAP list on this which said

What it [SOAP] doesn't do, includes (this isn't a complete list):
*    reliable messaging - you need to know your information got through once
and only once
*    one-way messaging - you fire a message and then forget it
*    publish and subscribe
*    asynchronous and synchronous exchanges over HTTP, SMTP or other
*    support for multi-Gb messages (yes Gb not Mb)
*    support for multiple payloads that aren't XML
*    security, so that you know the request has not been tampered with, is
authorized and should be acted on

This resulted in extensive discussion on SOAP(RPC) vs Messaging that
concluded that what you really needed was SOAP **AND** messaging.

How do you think support for these requirements fits in with your plans for
LOTP. Currently they are all being addressed by ebXML Transport Routing and
Packaging Working Group and I want to find a way to avoid re-inventing the